Sunday, March 10, 2024

Spring Break in Taiwan: Day 3

Today was a blur of car rides through pineapple and tea leaf fields and amazing amounts of food. We had a wonderfully leisurely morning, followed by my favorite Taiwanese breakfast, Danbing (eggs wrapped in soft, crepe-like pastry). We drove through the outskirts of Tainan to a dam just outside of Sun Moon Lake, where we explored a hillside town full of shops and restaurants. I have never eaten more food in such a short amount of time: Taiwanese hamburger (soft bread and pork with scallions), Taiwanese sausage, a sweet pastry tasting almost like roti chini, oolong icecream, and more I can’t remember. Simone and I windowshopped, and talked about the amazing appreciation here for cute things, which I sorely have missed in America. After the hillside town, we went to a traditional porcelain ceramics studio/shopping experience, where Simone, myself, and our host siblings made wheel pottery (thankfully, right before this trip, my ceramics class got to wheel throwing, so I managed to simultaneously make a presentable pot and impress my host parents. Thank you Rhys). The pottery at this place was genuinely gorgeous, and gave me an itch to get back in the Park studio.

The last thing on the agenda was sushi–an incredible amount of sushi. I ate so much that I felt like I was going to turn into a salmon and swim away, and somehow managed to eat more.

I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves today. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please post a comment or email us directly.